Wednesday 22 June 2011

Create a Launcher manually for Unity

Today was the release of eclipse 3.7 code named Indigo. After installation I wanted a shortcut of the new eclipse on the launcher in Unity but every time I've tried the launcher would just called eclipse in the system which called the default eclipse in Ubuntu which is 3.5.

I wanted the shortcut to call my new eclipse I had installed under /opt. Here is how to:

$ gedit ~/.local/share/applications/eclipse.desktop
 And enter the following in the file:
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Icon=/opt/eclipse/icon.xpm
Name=Eclipse Indigo 3.7
Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 /opt/eclipse/eclipse
And save the file. Hope this helps.

I got help from here 
blog comments powered by Disqus