Wednesday 2 June 2010

Control more than one computer with the same keyboard and mouse, Synergy-plus

I find this one quite handy when I have my laptop beside my computer and I'm able to control both without having to move things around.

Synergy+ (synergy-plus) lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, without special hardware. All you need is a LAN connection. It's intended for users with multiple computers, where each system uses its own display. It's a little like having a 2nd or a 3rd desktop...

Synergy-plus PPA

Another alternative is x2x

Here is my configuration:

synergy.conf (saved in my home directory)


section: screens
carles-pc:
heepie-laptop:
end

section: links
carles-pc:
right = heepie-laptop
heepie-laptop:
left = carles-pc
end

To launch it from the server

$ synergys -f --config synergy.conf

To launch it from the client

$ synergyc --name heepie-laptop 192.168.1.2

The 192.168.1.2 is the IP of the server. To set it up at the start use -f the make it verbose and stick to the terminal. Make sure the add the entry on the firewall.
blog comments powered by Disqus